Re: new Ram Hemi

From: Jim Miller WB5OXQ (wb5oxq@grandecom.net)
Date: Sun Jun 15 2003 - 23:51:28 EDT

Well I got my new Ram Hemi Saturday morning. Now Dakless but not leaving
this group. The Hemi is very different from the 5.9 in the Dak. The 5.9
seems to make most of its power between 1500 and 4500 rpm where the Hemi
makes most of its power from 2500 to 5500 and the higher it revs the harder
it pulls. My Grand Cherokee 4.7 is like that too but the GC does not seem
to have nearly the torque feel that the hemi has. The Hemi sounds kind of
strange too. I still have the stock air cleaner and exhaust system and I am
looking to see what improvements can be made there. The exhaust manifolds
are flat and fit snugly against the heads so I wonder if that isn't a poor
flow charastic. The Y pipe seems to be 2 x 2.5 inch into a 3 inch in 3" out
cat and stays 3 inch all the way through the muffler and all the way to the
back. The stock muffler is huge, about 10" diameter and over 2 feet long
and probably weighs 25 pounds or so. I understand someone is coming out
with a header, dual cat dual exhaust system so I will want to look into
that. The engine has 16 spark plugs with 8 coil packs. The intake manifold
appears to be plastic and shaped kind of like a typical magnum barrel but I
understand the insides are quite different. My truck is a reg cab short bed
with the 3.92 axle and 17 inch wheels and my first trip on the highway at 70
mph it got 19.5 mpg. Much better than the R/T that is probably 300 pounds
lighter. The hemi is supposed to be very fuel effecient and the 5 speed
auto I am told has double overdrive but I am not sure about that but the rpm
at 70 is around 300 lower than it was on the R/T. I'll be working on my
stereo system now so as I learn more about the truck I'll post my findings.
I dont know if the hemi needs to have 5k or so on it before it develops full
power like the 5.9 did. I wonder where the top speed limiter is on the Ram?
Jim in Waco.