Re: RE: Relieved or insulted?

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Sat Jun 21 2003 - 19:55:07 EDT

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 18:43:58 -0400, 03dakotaCC4.7_4x4@comcast.net
(Droo) wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 17:49:54 -0400, RayB <bpracing@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>

>> Well Bob, I'd rather feel insulted and avoid a fine than be stopped and
>> have
>> it cost me money. That's really pretty chicken-sh*t of them to target
>> people who are trying to compete legally instead of the street racers who
>> give all drag racers a bad name. There's a track near Cincinnati that
>> warns you the local cops are set up to monitor everyone going to or from
>> the
>> track and looking for the slightest infraction as a reason to pull you
>> over.
>> Again, totally mis-guided, waste of taxpayers money and accomplishes
>> little
>> in the quest for safer streets.
>
>Can't say it's wasting any money when they are generating funds with the
>fines they hand out.

In the long run, though, it's basically a waste of money. There's no
doubt that street racing incidents cost A LOT of money in property
damage and personal injury (not to mention the immeasurable loss --
death) to both those who are involved in the race and innocent
bystanders. Like it or not, that's the case. In a controlled
environment (i.e. race track), the only people you can injure are
those who knowingly expose themselves to that risk (i.e. other people
racing and those who are at the track to watch).

If they want to save innocent lives (the job of the police is to
"protect and serve," isn't it?), irritating those who race on the
track to the point where they see no difference between track racing
and street racing is NOT the way to do it. While they might make
money on the fines right now, others are losing money because of the
damage that happens otherwise.

Fortunately they haven't taken to that sort of behavior around here.
There are even a couple of cops who go to the tracks on drag nights
and race the kids for fun, and to encourage them to use the track
instead of the streets.

-Bill