RE: Codes- transmision speed sensor?

From: BARRY OLIVER (dhspa58@dhs.state.il.us)
Date: Sun Jun 22 2003 - 02:07:36 EDT

Well, I bought atf+3. I did the deed Friday afternoon. In a shocking display of forethought, I drove the driver's side of the dak up onto my handy dandy ramps, angling my baby pretty well. Zip, zip zip,zip, 30 seconds and I had the bolts out of my skid plate... and it dosen't budge. Hmmm... no more bolts, I wonder what's holdi..THUD-Clang!! AAWWWWWW, my Shin!!
After about 5 minutes of jumping on one leg and cussing, I got back to work. I gingerly reach up and un-plug the wires, and decide I REALLY need to clean this area. Carb cleaner, engine degeraser, Simple green, Hose water, compressed air and a leaf blower later, I get about the business at hand. With my trusty 1" deep snap-on socket, I gingerly back this little plastic sensor a couple of turns out of the hole. I use my new atf to lube up the o-ring seal on the new sensor (thanks whoever suggested that), and the in one fluid, graceful motion, I unscrew the sensor the rest of the way, remove it, and slap the new one in with my other hand. A couple of twists later, and a gentle snugging with my trusty socket, an dI am home free. Looking down I guess I spilled maybe 8-12 oz of fluid, but definately not much at all. I utton everything back up (without dropping the 9000 pound skidplate on myself again) Back my beast off the stands, and take it for a spin around the block... Shite, my check engine light is
still on..Duh I forgot to re-set it. Go back home, un-plug the batery, turn the key on, wait a minute or two, hook the battery back up, and try the 'round the block thing again. This time it works like anticiated, no more light, my speedo is right, it shifts correctly, it's amazing what a screwed up output speed sensor will mess up. I get home and remember to check my fluid. I park it, hit the e-brake (my next project, it goes to the floor and barely works...) put it in neutral, and pop the hood. I check my tranny..WTF, it's about a half a unit OVER where the dipstick says it's supposed to be!!! I check again. I drive around the block and re-check a third time, it's the same 1/2 unit over. Friggin dealer. I decided not to push my luck at this point and just quit. I'll ask my rear brake question when I have more motivation...

>>> bernd@texas.net 06/20/03 19:30 PM >>>

If it's a '99...it's ATF+3. (Unless you had it serviced at the dealer -
then, more than likely, they replaced it with ATF+4.)

- Bernd