exhaust

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2003 - 03:16:22 EDT

I'm looking for recommendations on exhaust for a '98 318 that gets used
mainly on-road, with appreciable towing, high speed and off-road use.

My muffler is quickly on it's way out (rusted bottom seam last week has
turned to a dime-sized hole now), and my cat has been bad (rattling)
ever since a very hot dunking in a very cold stream 2 summers ago.
Lake Superior may also have had something to do with that, since it was
colder than the stream I forded to get there....

I'm definitely going stainless since I have no reason to get rid of
this truck any time soon and I live and plan to say north of the
Mason-Dixon, I'm not going out under the back bumper because I like
exhaust tips to stay the shape they were intended to be, and headers
are somewhere in my future. any thoughts?

Magnaflow has been my top muffler contender so far, just cuz I like
their completely stainless design. I'm not looking for noise, though
-- just the extra juice I'm sure I'll be able to squeeze out with a
cold air intake and PCM programming (yell at me if I'm wrong on that
count). should I bother doing this in stages or should I bite the
bullet now and do a "block-back" system?

whose headers? whose mufflers? is a high flow cat worth it? 2.5"?
3"? are true duals in any way worth the extra cost? Also, who sells a
good Y-pipe, or am I going to have to have someone make that? I
haven't seen any along with all the headers and cat-backs I've seen
listed.

The muffler shops handiest to me (Cole, for those in ROC) don't want my
money to do stainless so I'd rather do this myself, but I think I might
be stuck running to the other side of town since I don't have access to
a welder. I'm only assuming I'd need one to do this right....

--
Michael Maskalans                '98 Dakota SLT CC 4x4 318
details here:         <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak.html>