RE: RE: How To Touch-up Chrome Plating?

From: Wisotzkey, Rich (Rich.Wisotzkey@gd-ns.com)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2003 - 13:39:13 EDT

Hi Ray,
Hey, I didn't think you were being smart at all. Sounded like a perfectly
legitimate question to me. Believe me, I thought about painting them, and
the thought still hasn't been excluded.

Since I have an SLT, the chrome bumpers go nice with the other chrome trim.
>From what I understand, the front bumper is fairly inexpensive. I don't
have any rust, it is just a poorly thin chromed bumper. I may just replace
that one and figure a way to touch up the rear one. I have a bottle of
Cerma-Chrome I've used on other hardware that works pretty nice. I may try
spraying that into the scratches, then carefully heating it with a torch to
try and cure it. (Will have to test this idea on a scrap piece of steel
first.)

Also trying to stick as close as possible to stock since when I show it, I
enter it in the stock class. I don't want to change it too much as to
eliminate me from this class. Some shows are pretty touchy on what
delineates a stock and modified vehicle.

But we'll see. They may wind up being painted. I wonder if anyone has
pictures of a Gen-II painted rear bumper?
Thanks,
Rich