shifting on Auto

From: kenallgood@cox.net
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 12:10:43 EDT

Someone else just mentioned shifting their auto manually, and when they didn't, the experienced about a .4 loss on their 1/4 mile time. Just wondering how much of a difference does it really make at the track? When I run (Automatic, no trans-go, O/D off), truck usually shifts close to 5000 RPM out of 1st, probably around 4800 out of second, and 3rd is pretty weak at that point. Wondering if the 1-2-3 shifts manually would make much of a difference. I've currently run a best of 15.65 in the 1/4, and would be nice to be able to run a low 15. Think I just opened up a big can of worms here :-)

Ken Allgood
97 CC SLT 5.2L
Quick-D intake, Hypertech PCM, F&B 50mm TB, 1.7 Crower Rockers, M-1 Intake Manifold, Positive Performance Headers, Gibson Catback, Carsound Cat
15.65 @ 86mph