Re: shifting on Auto

From: Dave Downing (ded74@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 13:05:48 EDT

> Someone else just mentioned shifting their auto manually, and when they
didn't, the experienced about a .4 loss on their 1/4 mile time. Just
wondering how much of a difference does it really make at the track? When I
run (Automatic, no trans-go, O/D off), truck usually shifts close to 5000
RPM out of 1st, probably around 4800 out of second, and 3rd is pretty weak
at that point. Wondering if the 1-2-3 shifts manually would make much of a
difference. I've currently run a best of 15.65 in the 1/4, and would be
nice to be able to run a low 15. Think I just opened up a big can of worms
here :-)

> Ken Allgood

Your 1-2 shift sounds pretty good. If your rev limiters have been moved up,
I'd try the 2-3 manually, maybe 5400, some guys are going higher, depends on
your setup. But with your truck shifting at 4800 I'd think that there's
some time to be had there.

-Dave
'02 FR RC R/T