Re: Re: brakes???

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 14:30:25 EDT

<Tubamirbls@aol.com> wrote in message news:195.1c6bc3fd.2c2c88b6@aol.com...

> If they would have just left the zerk fittings on these I know there
> would be fewer warranty claims. Same goes for a conventional pair of
wheel
> bearings requiring a 10k mi interval for repacking
>
> Paul Sahlin

Paul
I hear that... If they left the zerc's on or even allowed the traditional
10 - 20K mile repack on bearings they'd be able to charge people to have it
done! I see that as cutting down expendatures for them (cheaper parts) and
increasing service revenues (making people pay for the services). Repacking
bearings and greasing zercs isn't really that big of a deal, I used to be
able to lube in entire suspension and repack the front wheel bearings on my
mustang in about an hour, 30 mins with airtools. most of the time was spent
in dissassembly of the wheels/brakes in the front. I would repack the rear
axle bearings at 20K intervals when I changed the diff fluid. (in a car
with a lsd, when you autoX race very heavily you wear out the friction
modifier way faster.) I helped my friend to the brakes on his 79 buick
something-or-other last weekend, he couldn't believe that I'd repacked all
the bearings (4 races) in the time it took him to go get us another round
from the fridge.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L