RE: 1999 5.2 Oil Pan Removal

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Sat Jun 28 2003 - 13:21:01 EDT

My FSM says to raise the engine, with the exhaust disconnected, until the pan clears the
cross member and tranny. Sounds like you just need to raise it up some more. Yes, you
could always cut the pan off, but I don't think I would want to do that with oil still in
the pan, even after you drain it. Can you say "Engine fire in the truck"? And, consider
this. How are you going to get a new pan back on there? Even if you make your own, it's
not going to go on in one piece. This means you would have to weld it together as you bolt
it to the engine. I think you'll find this to be more work than it's worth.

Good luck,
John
http://jndneff.home.texas.net/dakota/dakota.html

<snip>
So....has anybody here had any luck removing the oil pan on their 5.2 or 5.9
engines while in the truck? Mine just wont clear the trans bell housing in
spite of raising the engine. Any ideas???.....Tomorrow I cut it up into
itty bitty pieces and make my own! Come to think of it the 'ol plasma
cutter outta do nicely on shaving the crossmenber too! You guys can
probably tell where I'm at on this one ....the end of my rope. I have this
thing where when it takes longer to remove the part than modify it
......theres a major problem.
<unsnip>