Re: How To Touch-up Chrome Plating?

From: Wayne Allewelt (wallewelt@mai-aec.com)
Date: Mon Jun 30 2003 - 16:07:21 EDT

Rich,

I was able to stop by Spacecoast Plating today, but the news isn't as great
as I hoped it would be. It seems that their prices have gone up in the past
four years. The lady I talked to today told me that the ballpark for each
bumper would be $340 for each. Sorry the prices aren't much better than up
there, but I guess with all the hoops they have to go through with the
gov't. concerning the chemicals used are hurting them. She also told me that
they are so busy right now that it will be at least six weeks from the time
they receive it. They were busy four years ago when I went to them, and it
took about the same amount of time.
Also remember that this place triple plates the chroming they do. They add a
copper plating beneath the chrome as well as the nickel plating that is
beneath the chrome. Where as aftermarket bumpers that are already chromed
are usuallt only double plated and don't have the copper. I've seen both and
it makes a world of difference in the quality. You should check with the
plating place up there and see if they triple plate.
I have a question regarding the front bumpers. Is it metal and not the
plastic like the one I have on my Sport?
Good luck with it, if I hear of any other places, I'll let you know.

Wayne
01 QC Sport 4x4 V8