Poly Cab Mounts

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Tue Jul 01 2003 - 22:27:56 EDT

Well, I put in the Energy Suspension polyurethane cab mounts that I
purchased a while back into my '92 RC today. Everything went fairly
straightforward. Soaked the living daylights out of the old bushings with a
penetrating solvent/oil, and let them sit for about 30 mins, then shot them
again liberally and started wrenching. The most difficult part of the
entire install was the mounts at the very front. You need to use a punch to
get them out, as my rubber mallet wouldn't fit, unless you could shrink it
to itty-bitty proportions. Anyway, when I punched the bushing out, the
bloody things left a rusty metal sleeve in the hole, so you need to whack
that out with a chunk of wood and a hammer, and some prying from above.

Results? Well, you feel the idle more in the cab, which is kinda fun. Body
roll does seem to be reduced, and the truck just overall has a much firmer
feeling to it. Based on this, I think a complete polyurethane suspension
rebuild is going to be somewhere down the line for my truck. Right after
all the other zillion things on my list. :-|

One tip... wear eye protection... There is a LOT of crud that comes out of
the buggers when you disassemble them, particularly punching out the front
bushings, and iron oxide dust in the eyes is NO FUN.