RE: T-Stat Raplcement ??'s

From: RayB (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 10:42:22 EDT

Excellent page Jon! If you don't mind I can clarify a couple things and
have a tip or two to share.

1. You don't have to remove that plastic shield beneath the radiator unless
you want to capture/save the coolant. I can open the radiator drain from
above and just spray the coolant off the shield when I'm done.

2. It's not necessary to remove the block drain plugs unless you want to
flush the entire system.

3. I replaced the drain plug with a petcock on the passenger side. There
wasn't enough clearance on the driver's side. Future draining will be
quicker/easier.

4. There's no need (on mine) to remove the support bracket. I loosen the
end at the alternator and remove the bolt at the manifold end. Then just
swing it aside.

5. I did not find it necessary to remove the alternator. I loosened the
lower bolt/nut and removed the upper bolt. Then just swing the alternator
to the left, reinstall the bolt through the mounting bracket and let the
alternator rest against it. Gave enough clearance on mine. Did not have
to disconnect any wires either.

6. As suggested in some other posts, the "Front" tab can be ground off to
make future TS changes easier.

RayB