Re: what causes intake backfires?

From: Jim Miller WB5OXQ (wb5oxq@grandecom.net)
Date: Sat Jul 05 2003 - 18:12:36 EDT

I would get a fuel pressure guage and check the fuel pressure on the fuel
rail. I am not sure what is it supposed to be though. Probably over 28 psi
though. Someone that knows please respond. We have a fleet of retired
police Crown Vics and when the fuel filters stop up this is what they will
do. Idle ok and rev up slowly in neutral but in drive they backfire or die
down when you try to load up the engine. Of course a bad vacuum leak can
cause this also.