U-Joints

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jul 05 2003 - 18:41:15 EDT

Hey, DML!

I posted to the list about 2 months ago about a funny metallic "clanking"
coming from unde,r the DAKSY. Nobody, other than Josh Stolarz, offered any
ideas. He thought maybe the CV joints, but I've since then figgerd it's
coming from the rear, so that rules out the CVJ. I'm leaning towards the
U-joints. Yesterday, in North Adams, Mass, with Susan, I hadda accelerate up
a REALLY steep hill & it sounded like the bottom of the DAK was being hit
with a hammer. I've had U-joints go bad in MoPars before, (68 Cuda), but the
sound was more of a thump than a clank. Is there something about the
design of newer U-joints that causes this sound to be different? I had a
buddy in her the other day & it made the noise accelerating from a stop
sign. He's a Ferd guy, but thought it sounded like "early" U-joint failure.
Any other ideas? If not, are any U-joints out there better than others? Any
I should NOT buy?
TIA,

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
Averill Park, NY