Re: Downey LTD Installation

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Jul 06 2003 - 02:02:34 EDT

Bill Pitz <dakota@billpitz.com> wrote:

: Okay, I'm stumped. Does anyone who has a Downey LTD cover have the
: installation instructions? I'm apparently short -- I've only got one
: page that ends with attaching the back bar and the latch mechanism.
: Got all of that done, but now have no instructions as to how to
: proceed with installing the clamps, struts, and strut clamps. Or am I
: just supposed to know?! It's been very frustrating.

: Thanks in advance...

  Bill,

  The instructions are a single page, two sided. Looks like
they may have forgotton to copy the back side on your sheet. :-)

  Step 5 is to attach the clamps to the short sections of the
side bar (at the front of the bed - in front of the hinge).
Spin the bolt until the lock washer is compressed, then give
1.5 to 2 turns more. They stress not to overtighten these
clamps. Then you can put the support bows in place on their
holders. The support bows can be slid onto the holder or
snapped down onto it.

 Step 6 is to install the strut clamp at the designated locations.
(There should be a sticker on either side of the frame). Make
sure that the ball stud is toward the back of the truck.
Tighten the bolt and the ball stud in an alternating fashion
so that the pressure stays about equal between then.

Step 7 is to press the "small end" of the strut onto the ball
stud on the clamp. (The "small end" of the strut is the end
which is the chrome rod; the black housing is the "big end")

Step 8 is to snap the cover in place. The Downey Products
label should go at the back of the truck. They say it is
easiest to snap the front of the cover in place first, then
the back of the cover, starting in the middle and moving out
to the sides, then finally the sides.

   There are also some warnings on this side of the sheet,
such as: (paraphrased)

   - don't tow the truck backwards with the tonneau in place

   - be careful lifting the tonneau in high winds

   - when not using the tonneau, be sure to remove the
     "unsecured" (unclamped) portsions of the tonneau
     by using a flat head screwdriver to release the clip on
     the struts (remove the end attached to the ball stud clamp
     first), remove the support bows, back bar, and finally the
     long side bar sections. (I'm not sure what the reason
     for this one is... seems like it would be just fine if
     you left it latched?)

   - Don't drive with the cover partially snapped - the cover
     will whip and cause damage to the cover in a very short time.

   If you would like me to scan in that page and e-mail it to
you, or fax it to you, just let me know and I would be glad to
do so. I won't be able to get around to doing it until probably
sometime Sunday afternoon or evening though.

  I hope this helps - Good luck!

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'