Re: RE: RE: RE: RE: Sport truck article

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@datastar.net)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 23:49:47 EDT

Bob Mankin wrote:

>You missed the point, Bernd. The GM and Ford tuning stuff is no more "freely
>available" than is the DC stuff. You still have to pay for it. It's also not
>like Ford and GM suddenly decided way back when to just post it on the Net
>or leave the code on somebody's porch in a basket with a note saying "please
>take care of me".

No kidding - especially since the PCM is considered part of the
Emissions Control System. Getting a legit company to provide a
PCM-manipulating program would be akin to someone advertising in Road &
Track that they will cut the catalytic converter off any vehicle for $10.

>I'm sure it went through the same sort of process that DC is going through
>now and access grew over time. The reality is the knowledge base for tuning
>Dodges is far, far behind that of the GM or Ford crowd. You only need to
>read various Mustang or Camaro boards and look at some of the things they
>discuss when it comes to tuning to get a handle on this.

The fact that more Ford and GM systems have been "hacked" or
reverse-engineered is just merely relative to the quantity of vehicles
sold and in the hands of the hackers. Check out the classified sections
of your favorite newspaper and see how many Dodge vehicles there are
relative to GM and Ford. I would guess less than 10 percent.

>Putting raw tools out there that is to far above the skill set of the
>average tuning crowd only results is poor results, blown up motors and
>really bad PR, not to mention the deep pockets legal ramifications. 'Over
>here' we still have people doing hopeless mods like the TPS deal, while
>'over there' they are discussing off idle enrichment table tweaks which is
>the proper way to fix the problem. IMO, we've got some long held bad habits
>that need to be broken first because if you don't go at it with a different
>approach than those carb era tweaks, you're gonna fail.

ouch

>The FAST and Accel comparisons were strictly to point out that the dig at SD
>systems is misguided. If you think the MAF systems are all that and a bag of
>chips, trot on over to the Mustang boards and read up on some of the tuning
>horror stories they go through every day.

Try introducing a small vacuum leak (very common in intact tracts)
downstream of the MAF - this will reak havoc with those systems. And
guess what? Since you are measuring a smaller amount of air than is
actually going into the motor - those computers will provide less fuel
than is necessary going dangerously lean at WOT. Bye Bye 5.0 (or 5.7L
if thats your bag). Add juice to speed up process 8)

Shane