Re: More Big Brother? Or is this OK?

From: Jeffery B. Denning (jldenning@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 20:01:24 EDT

Sorry for the OT, but gotta correct Droo on something.

There are often differences in the legal restrictions associated w/ recording audio versus video.
It has to do w/ differences in "expectations of privacy". However, I do not believe anyone can
record video from bathrooms, whether public or private (in the home) under any circumstances.
I.e., we have a right to privacy when we poop. In fact, Walmart is being sued right now b/c
someone (they say they don't know who) installed a camera feed in the ceiling tile of a store
bathroom, and folks (like landlords, hoteliers and restaurant owners) get prosecuted frequently
for videoing bathrooms.

Jef