Power locks gone bonkers

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Sat Jul 12 2003 - 21:24:04 EDT

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen. Our power locks have
decided to start operating on their own. Usually they decide to
randomly unlock the doors while driving, or worse, in the middle of the
night. I've seen it happen, sometimes it gets so insistent that you
can't keep the doors locked. I also saw it once decide to lock the
doors on me and set the security alarm when I was sitting in the truck
cleaning out the glove box with the engine off.

I thought maybe I was accidentally pressing the remote buttons in my
pocket, so I dug it out and the truck kept locking and unlocking at
random. Besides, when it locked, it didn't honk the horn like it does
when you use the remote.

I'm wondering if maybe the battery in the remote is getting low, and
it's going bonkers and sending out all kinds of random garbage. Easy
enough to check: take the batteries out. Anything else we can check
ourselves before taking it to the dealer? As it's an intermittent
thing, I'm sure they'll just tell me they looked at it for a whole
second and a half and couldn't re-create the probem.

Footnote: there are some days when I really like having the modern
conveniences, and there are some days when I think it's just more junk
to break. Anyone who's been around long enough probably remembers what
a battle Norah had dragging me kicking and screaming in to the world of
power windows. My '95 has power NOTHING: I lock my own doors, roll up
my own windows, adjust my own mirrors and even shift my own gears, and
all that stuff stays right where I put it. I like the power stuff when
it works, but I have second thoughts about all of it when it breaks down.

--
Jason Bleazard  http://www.bleazard.net  Toronto, Ontario

Didn't you read the disclaimer? http://www.they.com/disclaimer