Re: Turbo Dakotas

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Jul 16 2003 - 00:17:54 EDT

"Aaron Wyse" <awyse@sw.rr.com> wrote:

: I was discussing our concepts and ideas of the turbo 2.5L's with a guy at
: the machine shop; and upon looking under the hood of my Gen II. Quickly came
: up with a way that may simplify doing the turbo conversions. Rather than
: fabricate and relocate the intake & exhaust routing.. He suggested just
: moving the eng & trans forward ( not like we don't have plenty of room). Be
: easier to lengthen a driveshaft, and move the shift linkage.. Or if you go
: with an AT.. just the driveshaft.
: Does this sound like it may be more feasible?

   I think part of it will depend on what you are looking to do. If
you are doing a one-off, then this may work just fine. If you are
planning to put together a kit for sale, you will probably appeal to
more people if they don't have to worry about relocating the engine or
playing with the driveshaft.

  Another thing to consider would be that generally folks try to keep
as much weight to the rear as possible (for a closer to 50/50 weight
bias and/or to put more weight on the rear tires for a better launch).
Moving the engine forward would be moving it in the "wrong" direction
if you subscribe to that philosophy.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'