Re: ATTN: '03 BBQ Caravan folks

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 22:17:17 EDT

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:53:00 jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> I'm glad this came up seeing as how I will be heading up to Canada
> pretty soon; it'd be annoying to have to come back home and try to dig
> up some proof of citizenship. :-P I had no idea I needed anything more
> than a driver's license. I have an FAA issued pilot's license and
> concealed carry permits from NY and PA, all of which list my nationality
> -
> I wonder if that would be enough? I probably should try and dig up my
> birth certificate just in case - I assume a photocopy would be
> acceptable?

Here's the information from our friendly Department of Homeland Security:
http://www.bcis.gov/graphics/hditravelcanada.htm
http://www.bcis.gov/graphics/shared/lawenfor/bmgmt/inspect/docrequirements.htm

As I understand it, only a notarized copy of your birth certificate is
considered official.

> Ya know, this *is* the 21st century - you'd think that by now
> they would have computers they could use to look this sort of thing up.

Yeah, you would think.

> :-P I mean, c'mon, what do you need to fake a birth certificate? A
> 10 year old with a $500 PC and Photoshop? :-)

See "notarized copy" above :-). You can't create the imprint of the
notary seal with Photoshop.

--
Jason Bleazard  http://www.bleazard.net  Toronto, Ontario

Didn't you read the disclaimer? http://www.they.com/disclaimer