Re: Re: SCORE will be at DML BBQ

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 23:22:46 EDT

andy levy <andy-dml@levyclan.us> wrote:

: Punch wrote:

:> p.s. are the trails ram friendly? and what skill level would they be?

: Well, Jon drives a '92 Ram with wide tires on the trails. As for
: "friendly" it depends on your definition. Lots of narrow trails to get
: scratched by tree branches on. They're fairly easy trails for the most
: part, a few tough sections, but the degree of diffficulty goes up
: significantly if it's wet.

  Yep, that's one nice thing about me having a Ram - there are some
narrow spots to be sure, but if I can make it through in my dumbo
eared Ram, it should be a piece of cake for a Dak. :-) I must
admit that I do cheat a bit though - I have a removable suicide knob
that I slap on the wheel for offroading - makes a huge difference. :-)

  As far as the trails go, depending on your paint job, there is the
potential to get scratched no matter what the size of the vehicle.
Unless we get REALLY motivated during the trail cleanup, there are
usually some hanging branches, rasberry bushes, etc. Nothing that's
going to leave a big gouge, but might put some small hairlines in
the clearcoat. Often times, the trucks develop a nice protective
layer of adobe (err, mud) which I am sure helps a lot in the
avoiding scratches department.

  As Andy stated, the trails are pretty easy for the most part, and
there are ways around most if not all of the parts that are a little
more tricky. However, the trails and topography are such that its
basically as difficult as you want to make it. You can take all
the bypasses and drive on top of the ruts, take pictures at the
waterfall, or you can point your truck at the deepest, soupiest
part of the trail you can find and try to climb the waterfall
in the truck. There are plenty of places along the way which
provide an opportunity to test the truck and the driver, but
its not like some trails where these obstacles are a necessity
to actually traverse the trail. Something I like to do to
increase the interest level a bit is to drive in 2wd as long
as possible and just use 4hi to get myself out whenever I get
stuck. I think the only time I have actually used 4lo at the
BBQ was when I towed Pete Cutler's dead Jeep back up to the shop.
(Well, I probably used it during the "sidways mud pit incident"
too.)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'