Re: Re: Looking for a second car - Dallas-Ft.Worth Area

From: J Wynia (jwynia@pragmapool.com)
Date: Sat Jul 19 2003 - 18:47:10 EDT

I drove an 84 VW Rabbit diesel all through college. Thing had 186,000
when I bought it. My brother drove it for a couple of years after me and
my uncle's had it since. It's still going at well over 300,000 miles.
When I drove it, I frequently had tanks that went over 70 mpg. Of
course, it didn't even have 100 horsepower and could barely hold onto 70
miles per hour. Also wasn't fond of the fuel gelling here in Minnesota
when it got really cold. Many a night was spent pouring anti-gel into
the tank and having a couple of friends help me shake the car to get it
mixed up, then pulling it started.

On 7/19/2003, "Jon" <jonsdak@midmaine.com> wrote:

>LOL.
>I've always envied VW gas mileage. If I drove mostly in traffic, in the
>city, rather than twisty backroads with the aforementioned crazy semi
>drivers, I'd be driving a Jetta (or Golf) with the 1.9 TDI. I could handle
>50 MPG! :-)
>
>--
>-Jon
>jonsdak@midmaine.com
>http://jonsdakota.tripod.com
>1996 Dodge Dakota Sport 4X4, 3.9L V6, 42RE, 3.92:1 8.25 axle, "BackRack"
>Headache Rack, Dodge Motorsports decals, steering wheel cover, and front
>license plate, diamond-plate bedrail covers, Lund VentVisors, Lund
>BugShield, Jensen MP-3310 CD/MP3 Receiver, Pioneer TS-G1347's in front,
>TS-A5713's in rear, Bulldog RS-82 Remote Starter
>""Dave Downing"" <ded74@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > Maybe. I haven't paid much attention to VW's. When I was car-hunting,
>> > asked a dealer what he had with a stick, and he said, "only that Jetta
>> over
>> > there" and pointed to a _little_ car. It's entirely possible he was
>> > mistaken, and thus, I as well...
>> >
>> > --
>> > -Jon
>>
>> He must have been an idiot, the majority of VWs that I've seen are sticks,
>> you almost have to special order an auto. I've always liked VW's manual
>> trannys, learned to drive on an '81 Rabbit 5-speed. My ex's family are
>all
>> die-hard VW drivers (her dad's a VW mechanic), so I had a lot of exposure
>> them LOL
>>
>> -Dave
>> '02 FR RC R/T

J Wynia