Re: Not DML caravanning, general questions

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 15:22:53 EDT

"BARRY OLIVER" <DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us> wrote:

: I am planning on arriving (via an all-american route) late wedensday, or possibly early Thursday (if I stop to sleep). I'm all about tow-hooks and trail clearing then....

: There is a decent store nearby?

  Within a 10-15 minute drive there are stores such as Wal-Mart, Home
Depot, Tops (grocery store), Quality (grocery store), several intermediate
to small hardware/grocery stores, etc. There is also a small mom & pop
style convenience store a mile and a half down the road. They have a
deli there too, and make pretty good subs. They can also do hamburgers,
pizza, etc.

: Thursday and Friday food is catch as catch can?

   There's no particular plan just yet, but I suspect we may all
head out as a group to a restauraunt Thursday for either lunch and/or
dinner. Friday night we usually end up having pizza delivered, which
we will probably do again this year if there are no objections. For
lunch Friday we can probably just fire up the grill for hamburgers
& hot dogs, or get some subs, etc. from the corner store. One year
I did get deli stuff so we could make sandwiches for lunch, but
for the cost and time involved, it seemed to work out better to
just get subs at the corner store. On Saturday, we usually have
burgers and dogs on the grill for lunch, and end up heading out to
the ice cream place later.

  As you can see, there is no master plan. ;-) Usually someone
says, "hey, I'm hungry", everyone else goes "oh yeah, me too", and
then we spend a few hours trying to decide what/where/how to eat. ;-)

: How about cooking?
: Bring your own stove?

  You could do that if you want, though we will have a propane grill
here also.

: Does Jon have a firepit/grill for brats, etc?

  Yep, we do have a grill, and I will probably figure out a place
to put a fire again - that was kind've fun sitting around the fire
at night last time. :-) As far as the fire goes, we can do pretty
much anything between a small campfire and Texas A&M style. ;-)
(This will depend on what the Thursday crew feels like doing) :-)

: Is there a resturaunt close by?

   There's the deli about a minute's drive away, otherwise you're
looking at about 10-15 minutes. (10-15 minutes is "close" for
me, but the city folks often don't see it that way) ;-) Within
that radius are all the usual fast food places along with many
family style restauraunts.

: I am mostly asking out of my interest at being as low-maintenence of a guest as possible. The G/F and I will be pitching a tent and will be more or less self-contained (gas grill, etc.) and I am trying to sort-of plan meals and such, and figure out what I need to bring....

   You probably don't really need to bring anything as far as food
goes, though if you want to you are certainly welcome. We should
have an assortment of soft drinks, water, juice, snack food etc. here
but if you have a favorite beverage or something you might want to bring
that. Usually nobody brings much of anything in the way of food for
themselves and that usually works out - we just figure out a place to eat
when we get hungry and head out. :-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'