Obvious oil question (long, but on topic)

From: BARRY OLIVER (DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 11:27:38 EDT

OK, guys, I am posting this to both lists [dakota and superhawk] In hopes that I can get a broader range of opinions. [heh, heh, heh, this ought to be good..]

   I currently use Mobil 1 15w50, and change at 5k miles on my Dakota (99,5.2), and 2.5k on my Superhawk(99,996). I have been having my oil analyzed by Blackstone. The other night I got to reading the oil-related links off of Blackstone's site, and I found one (all about oil, I believe) where a guy went into a lot of detail about the actual makeup of oil, and the different grades. It pretty much confirmed what I already knew, and was very interesting. One of the things this site mentioned was that the "diesel oils" [rotella, delevac, etc] were essentially higher quality than the "consumer grade" oils [mobil1, syntec, etc.] and also that rotella came in both a dino (15w40, white bottle) and a synthetic (5w40, blue bottle). Again, this was interesting, but no surprise.
   The surprise came when I went to Sam's /Wallmart. They sell 5 quart jugs of Mobil1 (any weight) for $18.88. That's a lot cheaper than the $26 that I was paying for the 6 pack at Autozone, and it's exactly the quantity I need, so I am a happy camper. Then I walk around the corner and I glance at the Rotella... Alright, WTF??? This stuff is less than $5 a gallon for either the syn or the regular... The delevac 1300 is cheap, too, as is the Cheveron variety. WHOAH, wait a minute. I just got through reading that these three oils were supposedly so much better than even Mobil 1, and here they are at 1/3 the price???? I must be reading something wrong... right? Then I go to Sams. They have the case of Rotella (dino, white jug) for $26!!!($.92 a quart). They sell a 55 gallon drum for $250 (that's $1.13 a quart, folks)
  So, what gives? Is this stuff so cheap just because it's not real popular? Not marketed right? If there's a reason for me not to use one of these oils, send me a link or something. Otherwise I am about to become Rotella-man...

                              -Barry
MCP, A+, Network+, Server+
Efficiency is doing things right.
Effectiveness is doing the right things.
Character is doing the right thing when nobody is looking.
Contact Info:
217-899-6105 Cell 217-467-8673 Page
217-558-6000 Desk barryoliver@novanis.com
Username: barrysuperhawk