Re: BBQ prep

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 11:31:53 EDT

"Jason Bleazard" <jason.dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
: andy levy said:
:> * Recovery point. If you don't at least have a ClassIII hitch on the
:> back of your truck, you need one in case you get stuck. Front tow hooks
:> are bonus.

: I'd personally put more emphasis on having solid recovery points on both
: front and rear. I know a front recovery point is inconvenient and
: expensive on a Dakota, but if you can swing it, DO. Remember the "longest
: 100 yards" that took what, 3.5 hours to get through? Would have been 10
: minutes if everyone would have had front hooks. As it was, we had to
: screw around for hours pulling people backwards so that they could drive
: right through the same point where they got stuck in the first place.

    Yep, definitely a good idea to have front and rear tow points.
Note that I do have the recovery gear to get just about any vehicle
unstuck - but that isn't necessarily the best way and has the potential
for damage. (For example I have a set of chains with T hooks in them -
these will attach to the frame of just about any vehicle, but the downside
is that these attach points are usually such that pulling from them
might allow the chain to contact the front airdam - these points are
designed to chain the vehicle down, so pulling straight out puts the
chain higher than usual. That can be reduced somewhat by using a
long strap, but in the woods, this isn't always possible.)

:> * Some way to attach a tow strap to said recovery point. The Receiver
:> Shackle Bracket on

: Those brackets are nice, but if you don't feel like spending the money,
: you can just put a 2" tow strap right in a hitch receiver.
: (Unfortunately, I don't think the "tank straps" work with this method, but
: regular straps do.)
: http://www.expeditionexchange.com/straps/DCP_1248.jpg

   IIRC, the tank straps do work with this method, its just a bit of a
hassle due to the really tight fit.

  BTW, regarding the Warn receiver shackle Andy posted about, a slightly
cheaper alternative to accomplish the same thing (if for some reason
you would rather not stick the tow strap in the receiver itself) is to
use a standard ball mount receiver, but don't mount a ball in it. Use
a standard shackle in it to attach a tow strap. This will save you
$10-15. Unlike the shackle receiver Andy posted about though, you
probably won't want to leave the shackle in while you are wheeling
or it will rattle around. This method is sort've a middle ground - A
bit easier to hook up than crawling in the mud to put the strap right
in the receiver, but probably not quite as handy as the integrated
shackle.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'