RE: O/T: windows 0/linux 1

From: UncleDuke (tmfu@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 21:56:27 EDT

> I run Galeon on Gnome. What distro are you using, Punch? If it's any
> version of RedHat, typing "sndconfig" at the command line as root will
> invoke a program that you can run through to detect and set up your sound
> hardware.

With RH9 it is not installed by default you can do a "custom" install and
when you get to the package selection have it install the legacy sound
utilities, or if you already have the OS installed either run kpackage from
an xterminal, or in KDE go to System Settings -> Add/Remove Applications.
But in most cases Anaconda will find your hardware on install.

> It's a bit controversial as to whether or not Wine will work with windows
> games. Sometimes, but not always. Another program you might look into is
> Merge by SCO, or Win4Lin by Trelos.

eek.. SCO.. ugh.. spit.. A big factor is your installed HW. Games that I've
installed so far are NFS:Porsche Unleashed, NFS:HPII, GTAIII,GTA:VC,Falcon4,
Quake 3 Arena(also have the Linux release),M$ Train Sim, The Sims, R6:Rogue
Spear. and Unreal.. The trick is installing the needed DLL's(big pain in the
rear). VMWare is pretty good to run Windoze games(but alot of tweaking), and
you still have to install Windoze..

Greg
2K1 Dodge Neon ES
Rahway, NJ