Re: Back home, minus one family member

From: Brian Gonzales (gonzales@thuntek.net)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 22:09:42 EDT

I know how you feel. We lost our brand new 3 month old Blue Healer puppy
this past Mother's Day. He was leashed to a tiedown in the bed as we
drove off from our Mother's Day picnic. For reasons I'll never know, he
suddenly jumped, dangled from the lead, got tangled in the rear wheel
and was crushed. I was driving 15mph down the road, when I felt a thump
under the rear wheel. Little Bandit was dead in the road and my wife and
kids saw it all. I picked him up, laid him in the bed and gave him a
backyard burial 10 minutes later. My wife was hysterical and the kids (7
and 2) cried their eyes out. That little guy loved running from
wheelwell to wheelwell barking at everything. I thought he was safe
because non of my other dogs ever jumped.

We hadn't had too much of a chance to love this dog, but he was finally
pooping in the corner, heeled while walking and recognized simple
commands. What really hurt my feelings was how he died and that it was
on Mom's day.