Back home, minus one family member

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 21:45:10 EDT

Note: I'll warn you now that if you aren't an animal lover, don't think
that pets are part of the family, and don't understand why anyone gets
upset over losing "just a dog", then you'll probably want to delete this
thread now. Sorry if this is off topic or really sappy, but I really need
to get it out right now.

I just wanted to post that Norah and I made it home from the BBQ yesterday
afternoon without any problems. Unfortunately, as others have already
mentioned, our dog Bobby couldn't come home with us... he won't be with us
ever again.

If you didn't catch some of the other messages that have been posted, he
was killed at the DML BBQ on Friday when he ran right in front of Ed's
Dakota. Ed never even saw him, and there wasn't anything he could have
done. I don't think Bobby ever even saw the truck. He was pretty much an
indoor apartment dog, and not very "streetwise" around vehicles. We saw
it happen. I wish I knew how to get rid of the images that have been
haunting me. I just hope we didn't bring down the mood too much for
everyone else. If we seemed to disappear a lot, well, we knew everyone
was laughing and having a good time, and it didn't feel right to remind
you of the dark cloud over our heads. It kind of hit me in waves. Some
times I'd be feeling okay, then I'd forget and look around to see where he
was. Of course, he wasn't there... and I'd start missing him all over
again.

I really want to express my appreciation to everyone who expressed their
condolences and helped us through this ordeal. Particularly to Jon and
his family. They offered to provide a final resting place on their
property, and took care of everything for us. He's in a very beautiful
place in the woods. Everyone who has been there knows what a beautiful
place it is. We're both eternally grateful to know that he's in such a
nice place.

We're having a pretty rough time adjusting to life without the little guy
around. Everywhere I look in the apartment, I see him there... sleeping
on the couch, sitting in the kitchen waiting for food, or even sitting in
the hallway patroling for cats to walk around the corner. I can still
feel the weight of his head in my lap and the softness of his fur under my
hands. I can hear the clinking of his tags, and every time I walk in the
door I halfway expect to hear him barking at me at first, only to see that
it's me and come running to the door with a shoe or some other damned
thing in his mouth, wagging his entire body in excitement. I keep hoping
that what I saw was just a bad dream, only I know it wasn't.

I guess you have to understand that we're bona-fide animal lovers. We
donate money to the Humane Society, and collect silly trinkets with animal
pictures on them. As we apparently will never be able to have any
children of our own, our pets are really the closest thing we'll ever have
to a family. If you doubt it, all you have to do is look at our web site
at http://home.primus.ca/~janor2/animals/zoo.htm We haven't found time to
set up pages for our trucks or ourselves, but we managed to get something
together for the animals.

I know that we'll be okay, that the pain will ease and that life will go
on. It always does. We've both lost pets before. Any time you let a
dog, cat or other animal in to your life and your heart, you know in the
back of your mind that they aren't going to live very long, and one day
you'll have to say goodbye. But that never makes it any easier when that
day comes along.

Damn... this is one tough message to write. Thanks for letting me get it
out of my system. And thanks again to everyone who has been so supportive
to both of us. It really made a world of difference, not that you'd know
it by looking at the basket case that I've been lately.

Rest in peace, buddy. I'm gonna miss ya.
Love always, Jason the "take me for a walk" guy