Re: tires

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 01:19:42 EDT

On Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003, at 18:35 America/New_York, andy levy wrote:

> Do you have the 15x7 or 15x8 rims?

I need to measure. they're the 5 spoke, not the paired 10 spoke, so I
*think* that makes them x7 - in which case I'll be aiming for some
steel wheels. to handle 10.5 or 11.5 widths.

> The width may affect the max size tire you can run. Also keep in
> mind you'll need your PCM reflashed for the new tire diameter. Stick
> close to a stock size and you'll be OK there - deviate too much and
> your speedo and odo will be off forever.

it already is, from being a bit over an inch in diameter off for 12865
miles. That makes me exactly 500 miles off, which means I've already
rolled over 100,000 miles. I just did the math for the first time
since I set the computer right with my SuperChips PCM programmer and I
didn't realize I was that far off. I should have had a party at the
BBQ =)

> You will get a million responses this and you may end up further from
> the solution than you were when you started. BFG M/T KMs are also
> great tires, as you saw this weekend, and meed your "less roadworthy"
> criteria.

a million responses to consider is exactly what I'm looking for =)

knowing that there are Swampers that I'll never want to take on the
pavement in 33x10.5 (you go, Jason!) is a Good Thing to know, and
knowing that 32x11.5 will fit is also Good Info. Thanks also for
throwing around what models you've used and liked, too.

much useful info here, guys. thanks!

--
Michael Maskalans                '98 Dakota SLT CC 4x4 318
details here:         <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak.html>