Re: 1992 Dakota

From: Steve Mills (srm804@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 23:55:40 EDT

On the 92 Dakota the MR light illuminates every 60,000 to remind you to
replace the EGR valve, in my opinion don't replace it unless the pintle is
sticking. Unfortunatly this light can only be reset by a DRBII which will
cost you a diagnosis charge. This light also illuminates every 82,500 to
tell you to replace 02 sensor. My opinion is to remove the bulb in the dash,
it has no bearing on codes stored. The check engine light will not always
illuminate if you have any codes stored. To check for codes, cycle the
ignition 3 times and leave it on with 3rd cycle, the check engine light will
blink for first digit of first code, pause for bit and blink for second
digit, then a longer pause before beginning 2nd code. This procedure will
allways end with a code 55 meaning end of test. If you remove the bulb it
will give you code saying your mileage is no longer being stored in your
PCM. Not a problem beats a diagnosis charge! I wish I had the book in front
of me, but it is not available at this time. In short, your problem is a
preprogrammed maintenance schedule light. Hope this helps. Steve