Re: The Aftermath of the 2003 DML BBQ.

From: David Henry (DML@HenryWeb.net)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 22:25:30 EDT

I still havn't made it to a scale this week yet.

I did just find a weigh slip from December 97. This is before the Lifts,
Rims & Tires. Total weight is around 4600 lbs. This is with most of a tank
of gas and whatever crap is usually in the truck. (It does include the
fiberglass cap). I subtracted off what I'm guessing I might have weighed
back then, but I'm still withing 30 lbs even if I'm wrong. Most flatbed
trailers I've looked at seem to have no problem weighing 2000+ lbs. I still
think that they shouldn't end up being that heavy, but it seems quite
common.

Also any trailer I'd get needs electric brakes on at least 1 axel, and both
would be prefered. My tow rig is already wired for electric brakes and a
9600 lb trailer weight with the receiver hitch.

An interesting thing that I did come across in reading up is that you can
technically put 7700 on the trailer with two axels rated at 3500 each as
long as the trailer frame is so rated. For propper handling, 10% tongue
weight is recomended, so that would leave only 7000 on the axels. I
wouldn't want to push it that far, but if I came in at 7100 I wouldn't be
quite as panicky. Any yes, your receiver mount on your truck does need to
be rated to handle that much hitch weight.

David Henry
94 Sport CC 4x4, 318, 5spd, Lifted on 33" BFG MT