Re: Timing Chain/Belt failure in 318 engine

From: BARRY OLIVER (DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 17:27:41 EDT

>>> jbattles@bankfinancial.com 08/01/03 03:13PM >>>

"Dan Kramarsky" <dkramarsky68@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> just curious.
>
> if the timing chain fails does it destroy the
> 318 engine? i have 118,000 miles on my '92 engine.
>

> -dan

Yeah..... I'm gonna go ahead and say that it wouldn't be pretty if the
timing chain broke. Valves and pistons say "HI!!!" to eachother, and that's
bad considering that they're not ever supposed to meet - even in casual
conversation.

I'd go ahead and change that chain for the extra insurance if it's original.

What is the recommended service interval for the 318 timing chain?