Re: Re: Re: Brakes squeeling on '02 Dak

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Sat Aug 02 2003 - 00:25:39 EDT

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 23:38:21 -0400, ttroidl@bluefrognet.net ("Tony
Troidl") wrote:

>I have the extended warranty, didn't look to see what that covers? I am
>over 12K though, but thats pretty bad if they can't last even 6 months!

My truck ('00 CC 4x4) had 43,757 miles on it when I replaced the front
pads and rotors. The front pads weren't shot yet, but I replaced the
rotors with powerslots because I had a problem with them warping.

At 16,465 miles, I had 90% left on the front and 95% left on the rear.

At 24,107 miles, I had 80% left on the front and 75% left on the rear.
At this point, the front rotors were starting to warp for the first
time. (Actually, they started warping before this, but this was the
point at which the dealer confirmed)

At 30,214 miles, they reported the measurements as 10/32" on the front
and 4/32" on the back. Not sure if these numbers are even accurate
(see below) or what percentage that amounts to since I don't have "the
book" in front of me.

Later, at 35,743, they reported 80% front and 90% rear, which is
obviously incorrect based on the previous measurements.

I never had a major squeaking problem, but the pads in front were
starting to get noisy overall when I replaced them.

I haven't had my powerslot rotors/hawk pads long enough to say whether
or not the long-term reliability is much different. No signs of
warping yet (better not be!), and they seem to stop quicker and more
smoothly than the stock pads/rotors ever did. (I also had the rear
brakes relined and the brake fluid changed at the same time)

-Bill