Re: the other stuff I broke at BBQ

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Sun Aug 03 2003 - 15:21:30 EDT

Michael Maskalans wrote:

> I bent the front lip of the torsion bar crossmember back. I closed the
> channel between the front and back lips about halfway, and decreased my
> break-over angle a good half inch. I guess I know where I high
> centered.... all the attach points of the member still look good, it's
> a nice crease that runs across the member just under where the bars mount.
>
> I'd kinda like to straighten that out, and then brace the two halves,
> and probably skidplate between them and the t-case member to prevent
> more damage. I need to skid plate anyway, so I feel less guilty about
> wandering around in streams....
>
> I'm not sure how I could go about straightening, though. pound a wedge
> into the space? jack the truck under the front edge? I'm sure it
> wasn't meant for that stress, but I suppose it's had the truck on it
> once already. The metal isn't strong enough to hook through the two
> existing holes in the front lip and around a tree to slowly pull it back
> into place, I don't think (and again with the bad stress).
>
> this is what it should look like:
> _____
> | |
> | |
> __| |__
>
> and it looks like this instead, though a bit less extreme (both lips are
> still 90вк):
> _____
> | |
> | |
> \ |__
> /
>
> thoughts?

You got an "Andy special!" I did something very similar my first time
at Jon's, except mine turned into this:
     _____
    | |
    | |
  __| __|
And it wrapped around the right side torsion bar adjuster. Jon torched
it & pounded it with a hammer but didn't get too far with it.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/dakota - andy-dml@levyclan.us -------------------------------------------- "Whatever Adam does, do the opposite and you'll be fine" -Bob Tom --------------------------------------------