the other stuff I broke at BBQ

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sat Aug 02 2003 - 22:29:35 EDT

so I was doing plugs and an oil change and didn't get around to diffs
or tcase today....

while I was wiring my trans temp sender, and pulling more mud out of
crossmembers [and onto my face], I noticed something that didn't look
quite right that hadn't registered while I was popping my exhaust back
on and pulling mud out at Jon's.

I bent the front lip of the torsion bar crossmember back. I closed the
channel between the front and back lips about halfway, and decreased my
break-over angle a good half inch. I guess I know where I high
centered.... all the attach points of the member still look good, it's
a nice crease that runs across the member just under where the bars
mount.

I'd kinda like to straighten that out, and then brace the two halves,
and probably skidplate between them and the t-case member to prevent
more damage. I need to skid plate anyway, so I feel less guilty about
wandering around in streams....

I'm not sure how I could go about straightening, though. pound a wedge
into the space? jack the truck under the front edge? I'm sure it
wasn't meant for that stress, but I suppose it's had the truck on it
once already. The metal isn't strong enough to hook through the two
existing holes in the front lip and around a tree to slowly pull it
back into place, I don't think (and again with the bad stress).

this is what it should look like:
      _____
     | |
     | |
   __| |__

and it looks like this instead, though a bit less extreme (both lips
are still 90вк):
      _____
     | |
     | |
      \ |__
      /

thoughts?

I also lost my right lower ball joint boot (BIG rip). can one replace
just the boot, or would I gotten too much crap in there to bother?
(probably) I figure I'll just lube it weekly 'till it fails and
probably get another 6 mos. or year out of it. that sucks, since I
just had all four done in december.

I know I already mentioned the missing lower shock bolt and bushing
liner (still need to call Rancho on that), and certainly the
alternator. I think that's all I broke. anyone else break stuff
besides Tom and the two Jeeps? might as well add it to the meet report

I'll find out tomorrow if my rear diff breather was under pit water =)

which prompts my final new thread for the evening.....

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
Apple Campus Rep  -  ClassTech Consultant  -  Printer Tech