Re: RE: Re: RE: Trans fluid

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 11:20:38 EDT

""Rick Barnes"" <barnesrv@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:002c01c35a96$0ce75fb0$0200a8c0@sys15...

> When I first got my Dakota, I knew the trans had not been serviced and it
> was at 60k. It would stick in second gear. I called some of the local
> trans shops and they consistently told me they used ATF+3 in all the
> Chryslers...they tried to tell me it was no diff from ATF+4. I gave up
and
> went to the dealership and had the flush done which cost me about $150,
but
> it completely straightened out my tranny and I have done the service now
> again at 90k, and am at 103k on the original transmission. I just think
my
> tranny is too expensive to take a chance with anything other than what the
> engineers that make them suggest. Just my 2 cents and I am not sure its
> worth that much...
>
> Rascal

I dunno... I'm already on my second transmission. The original one was
toast at 30k. It wouldn't shift into OD at all. When they took it apart
they asked me in a suprised voice, "you're still driving this??" The whole
inside was destroyed. They found numerous chunks of metal in the pan as
well as the tq converter. My driving style was exactly the same as it was
when I had the mustang (before the 5speed went in) and I managed to put over
80k miles on that old AOD (with 100k on the clock already) and when I
rebuilt it to sell it, it was almost perfect inside. It seems that any way
you cut it the new dodge transmissions are crap. I'm very dissatisfied with
mine, and the trick shift fluid combined with a shift kit sure made a huge
difference to me - enough of one to make me not want to rip it out in favor
of a manual just yet.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L