Re: RE: Trailer wiring question

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 00:25:53 EDT

"Neil W. Bellenger" <neil624b@rochester.rr.com> wrote:
[...]
: This is from the '99 FSM: clockwise from 0700 position on the truck
: connector, not the trailer plug.
: 0700: Pin 1 Ground
: 0900: Pin 5 Left turn
: 1100: Pin 3 Tail/marker
: 0100: Pin 4 Fused B+
: 0300: Pin6 Right turn
: 0500: Pin 2 Trailer brake B+
: Center Pin 7 Back-up lamp

   Thanks, Ken & Neil! This verifies that the pinout I have is
correct, anyway. I'm assuming that pin 1 (ground) is always
grounded, pin 4 (battery charge) is probably always fed +12v as
long as the ignition is on, and the other pins are fed +12v at
the appropriate times? There's nothing goofy going on like some
pins are supposed to convert into grounds during certain states
or anything like that?

  If not, then this should be somewhat simple, I'll just have to
figure out why energizing the back up lamps lights up the stop
lamps instead. If I can't find anything obvious like a short,
bad ground, frayed wires, etc., I suppose I could just run a new
line from pin 7 to the back up lamps directly.

: If you have both left and right brake filaments in a combination bulb (3157
: or the older dual filament style) illuminating without energizing pins 5 and
: 6 simultaneously, then they are being energized through a ground somewhere.

   That sounds like what is happening except that only one of the
filaments in the dual filament brake lights are being lit when I
energize the back-up lamps.

 Thanks again!

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'