Re: 2004 Dakota update!!!

From: Ken Allgood (kenallgood@cox.net)
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 19:56:20 EDT

If memory serves me correctly, the dakota DID start out being marketed as a
"mid-size" pickup. It wasn't selling a whole lot (compared to S10's,
rangers, etc), so they started marketing it as a compact. Personally, I use
mine to tow a load with a 10' open trailer when moving people, or mulch, you
name it. I've also taken it to the track where I run mid-upper 15's with
the 5.2L. I've made numerous mod's to it (bolt-ons), but kept the towing in
mind while doing that. I did occasionally have pinging wihle towing with
the Hypertech PCM, but I think with the addition of the headers and M1
intake, that no longer happens. I can go WOT with a load, and have no
problem with spark knock. It's a fine line I have to walk in doing mods,
but in the end, I get the best of both worlds. I've had to scratch any
thoughts about lowering it, etc due to needing to tow heavy loads at times,
and occasionally using the full 1 ton capacity payload. I'm still working
on getting it into the 14's, keeping it NA, and not taking away from it's
towing capabilities either. I think Dakotas do very well as a mid-size
pickup that you can drive as a sport truck, or use it to do heavy hauling.

Ken Allgood
97 CC SLT 5.2L