Re: 2004 Dakota update!!!

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 20:15:42 EDT

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 19:56:48 -0400, kenallgood@cox.net ("Ken Allgood")
wrote:
>If memory serves me correctly, the dakota DID start out being marketed as a
>"mid-size" pickup. It wasn't selling a whole lot (compared to S10's,
>rangers, etc), so they started marketing it as a compact. Personally, I use
>mine to tow a load with a 10' open trailer when moving people, or mulch, you
>name it. I've also taken it to the track where I run mid-upper 15's with
>the 5.2L. I've made numerous mod's to it (bolt-ons), but kept the towing in
>mind while doing that. I did occasionally have pinging wihle towing with
>the Hypertech PCM, but I think with the addition of the headers and M1
>intake, that no longer happens. I can go WOT with a load, and have no
>problem with spark knock. It's a fine line I have to walk in doing mods,
>but in the end, I get the best of both worlds. I've had to scratch any
>thoughts about lowering it, etc due to needing to tow heavy loads at times,
>and occasionally using the full 1 ton capacity payload. I'm still working
>on getting it into the 14's, keeping it NA, and not taking away from it's
>towing capabilities either. I think Dakotas do very well as a mid-size
>pickup that you can drive as a sport truck, or use it to do heavy hauling.

Amen to that.

I had a very hard time even considering the "alternatives" from Ford,
GM, Toyota, and Nissan because all of their Dak-sized trucks really
are compact trucks... and no V8 option on any of them!

For the most part, my truck is my daily driver. I do, however,
frequently use it to tow a 21' boat up a fairly steep windy road to
the lake. And that's when I remember how much I love my truck. :-)

-Bill