Re: P0161

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sat Aug 09 2003 - 11:00:42 EDT

On Saturday, August 9, 2003, at 09:57 AM, Bob Tom wrote:

> While the O2 sensor does
> not affect performance or operability, the code will cause the pcm to
> stop
> monitoring the EVAP and rear O2 sensor circuits so if other problems
> in these areas crop up, you'll never know it. At least, that's my
> understanding.

I'm not so sure about the not affecting operability. although in my
case I had a funky reading on a working o2 that the computer way paying
attention to. I have no idea why, but when I was running around with
my exhaust pipe (nearly) off, I was running *incredibly* rich - to the
point that it could almost try to stall at idle.

so, if the computer is getting a funky reading from an o2, you'll
certainly get odd running conditions. However, if the computer
actually knows there's something wrong with it, it probably will throw
a code and then use a default value and assume things are 'okay'-ish.

I think I may have gotten a non-check engine code from that situation,
but I can't remember for sure. if I did, it was for an overly lean
condition.

--
Michael Maskalans                '98 Dakota SLT CC 4x4 318
details here:         <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak.html>