Re: Idle Air Control Motor

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Aug 09 2003 - 13:23:09 EDT

"BlackDak93" <stephen.barnett@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

: I know that the Idle Air Control Motor provides air for the engine at idle,
: but can someone explain to me why it opens up during acceleration? I don't
: know if it is worse with a high flow air filter or if you just hear it more,
: but it sound like sh**t. It sounds like it is sucking it's last dying gasp
: of breath. Is the stock TB not allowing enough air in or what? I have had
: this happen on two different engines, 3.9 and 5.2, and have replaced the
: IACM even though it wasn't bad. I'm sure others have experienced this. I'm
: about ready to pitch my K&N just because I can't stand the noise. Is there
: any remedy for this?

   It opens in anticipation of the throttle blades being shut after
the accelleration event is over. (Having the max available amount of
air flowing through the TB during WOT might be a factor too, but I'm
not sure about that.) Generally, after you are done accellerating, you
will let off on the gas, and could potentially let off on the gas all
the way, completely closing the throttle body bores. However, the engine
is still at a high RPM, needs some time to wind back down, and is still
pumping air during that time. Having the IAC open guarantees that
there is an available source of air should the throttle blades be
suddenly shut.

   An F&B Billet TB might reduce the whistle since it is a different
design than stock (you'd have to check with Bruce on that
http://www.fbthrottlebodies.com/), or you could revert to a K&N drop-in
with the stock intake system. I've never really noticed it on my
trucks, or if I have, its not a sound that has registered as being
"bad". Maybe turn up the radio or get a louder exhaust? ;-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'