Re: Mr. Steiger, your lift???

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Aug 09 2003 - 18:59:15 EDT

"Mr. Plow" <adam_is_mr_plow@hotmail.com> wrote:

: Thanks for the info Jon, didn't realize that the floor needed to be as
: sturdy as that for the lift...
: And those shorter lifts that you mentioned, are they any more expensive?
: And what kind of price range do you think i should be looking at?

   The shorter lifts seemed to be about the same price as the regular
ones. The control cables and such run down in a channel along the floor
instead of overhead. I'm not sure if they will lift to the same height
as the regular lifts or not, but I *think* they will.

  As far as cost goes, most lifts that I have seen seem to be in the
$3000-3500 range. (US funds of course) :-) That's for your basic
2 post lift - you can add options and get versions that have computerized
controls with upgradeable firmware, etc. This will of course increase
the price. :-) You will probably want to get what is called an
"asymetric lift"; this is like what I have where the pillars are angled,
that gives you the ability to open the vehicle's front doors several
inches wider than normal. Another good feature to look for is a lift
that uses two hydraulic cylinders (one in each post), not just a single
cylinder in one of the posts with a cable or a chain to lift the other
side. 9,000lbs would be the minimum lift I would consider. There are
lesser versions (6,000lb usually) but the price differences are usually
minimal. I like the extra safety margin. Some manufacturers have
12,000lb models also - might want to check into those also to see how
they work out as far as bang for the buck.

  Some manufacturers that come to mind are Eagle, Rotary and Backyard
Buddy (American Commercial). I'm sure there are more, but those are
the only ones I can think of right now.

   I actually wasn't originally even thinking of getting a lift... We
were going to install a concrete pit in the floor and just drive the
vehicle over it. Come to find out, the cost to do that was pretty darn
near the cost of a lift! Then when you factor in the safety hazards of
a pit, inability to work on the wheels, etc. the lift just made more
sense for me.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'