RE: 2005 Dakota Spy Shots

From: Gabriel A. Couriel (gcouriel@bellsouth.net)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 14:02:13 EDT

comparing these pictures to spypics of the new durango, several things are
evident. both trucks are identical in their front-end, all the way up to
the beginning of the door. if you look at the door, on the dakota, the top
part of the door is much thinner than that of the new durango (like half as
thick), which is probably due to a need for a stronger roof on the durango
(to carry stuff on).

as to the rear of the cab, the window looks like that used on the dakota's
today, so it has probably been kept and enlarged. as it seems, i doubt that
this is just a retrofit (unless it is the most expensive retrofit in the
history of the auto industry). this is a new mid-sized truck. we just have
to wait and see if it will be named Dakota, or something else.

also, i think this truck will definitely never see a 4 cylinder. if the
Durango doesn't even have an available V6, i can't see how this truck would
come with a 4 cylinder, even if it is the 2.4L (unless it's a turbo... but i
doubt that).

as for SRT-8, i still think that's the only way we will see the HEMI in
these trucks (maybe in the QC). however, i wouldn't doubt that there will
be 2 available V8's on the non-SRT lineup... i wouldn't doubt that the 4.7HO
shows up on the 4x4's as an optional engine.

Gabe Couriel