Attn: Barry O re: shock research

From: BARRY OLIVER (DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 18:02:02 EDT

>>> andy-dml@levyclan.us 08/11/03 09:14AM >>>
Barry,
        Please post your shock research that you did a while back. I'll
probably put it somewhere in the FAQ.

I'll post the highlights...
I decided I wanted Variable rate shocks because I do a lot of highway driving. Everybody makes them, and they all cost more than the standard shocks within the brand. KYB gas-adjusts, Monroe sensatracks, Rancho RSX's, and so on. The variable rate valving is worth the extra money, the brand name dosen't seem to be, especially when you consider lifetime guarantees... Which Monroe and Gabriel have , and Rancho dosen't..
The best that I can tell, Rancho RSX's are essentially Monroe sensatrac's with differen't stickers or paint. I went with the variable valve Monroe Sensatrac's on the front and Gabriel VST's on the rear. My ride is vastly improved. No shock lasts forever. Yeah, I may end up changing them, what every 30 k...that's what every other year for most people? (yearly for me) but after the first time, it's free.... all it costs you is some labor and some anti seize.

Other notes:
be prepared to cut all of them off if you have to.
Start 2 weeks prior to doing the actual job, soaking all of the bolts with "PB BLASTER" not just any penetating oil, "PB BLASTER" is the only one to use. Hit all of your bolts 2-3 times a day for about two weeks, and they should all come apart fine.
a small 3/8 impact with a deep socket will fit between the bed and the heat shield to remove the passenger side upper mount. if you have thick fingers, yo umay have to rig a coat hanger to pull the trigger.
It's easier if you jack the frame and take as much of the load off of the shocks as you can.