Tire Size/Speedo--Revisited

From: Craig Rash (2kdaksport@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 14:33:58 EDT

Noooooo! not this again!

OK, I went to my Friendly Neighborhood Dodge Dealer at lunch today'
cause I'm about to spring for the BFGoodrich AT 31x10.5s. I wanted to
confirm with them that the computer could be reset to work with the new
tires. I was able to get them to hook up the computer to find out. He
went through the menus on his little portable and said that it COULDN'T
be changed at all! I found this to be unusual because this model truck
probaby came with several different tires from the factory. (maybe they
are all the same dia??)
He said that it all depends on which transmission is on the truck, and
the transmission that I have does not allow for changing of tire sizes.
The entry on my VIN sheet says... Transmission 4-spd. Automatic,42RE...
I was hoping someone at a dealership could confirm their findings. If
they are way off could you give me a run down on the menus as to were
to go to get this done. This guy had a confused look on his face when
going through the menus that did NOT instill confidence.

TIA

Craig Rash
2000 Dakota Sport
ClubCab