RE: Tire Size/Speedo--Revisited

From: Gabriel A. Couriel (gcouriel@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 15:57:19 EDT

that it total horseshit!!! the PCM can be recalibrated on all models (after
97). take it to another dealer, and have them recalibrate it for you. i am
assuming that you have a 4x4 dakota, but on the 4x2 dakotas, the lowest that
the ratio can go is 723 revs/mile @45mph. i'm not sure of the heighest, but
i'm sure it's somewhere near 800. right now, i'm running 744, just lower
than the original tiresize.

the only way that the PCM can't be recalibrated is when the truck is a 97 or
earlier, because they measure the speed through a gear at the rear of the
transmission. on the 2000's, the measurement it taken digitally by a sensor
on the rear axle shaft.

Gabe Couriel