Re: Axles (was: Moving sale)

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 18:50:00 EDT

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:27:44 -0400, jason.dml@bleazard.net ("Jason
Bleazard") wrote:
>> Cause i'm pretty sure that comes with the 9.25 rear axle. (Mine did)
>
>Not always, apparently. We've definitely got an 8.25" in the rear.
>
>I haven't been able to figure out the rules for when you get a 9.25",
>unless it just depends on which they have more of sitting on the shelves.
>I had heard that it was only with the manual transmission, but if you had
>one with an auto, that clearly isn't true. Maybe you only get it if you
>order the 3.92 gears from the factory.

I've always been a bit puzzled by the 8.25 vs 9.25 issue as well. On
my '00 (4.7L, 4x4, auto, 3.92 limited slip, tow pkg, hd pkg), I've got
a 9.25" rear. It does seem that most of the 3.92 stock folks are the
ones that ended up with the 9.25" rear, assuming they have the other
options to match (4x4? tow package? who knows).

-Bill