Re: Re: XM Radio Working.

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 19:00:37 EDT

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:09:16 -0400, pbatson68@yahoo.com ("VRMan")
wrote:
>I'll check the ground from the battery out. But, how do you "beef up" the
>ground?

Replace the stock ground wires with larger ones. (i.e. 8 awg -> 4
awg, or 4 awg -> 0 awg)

>I don't get any noise thru the regular radio when I play it. Only when I
>have the sat playing thru the fm modulator. Maybe I'll have to pull the
>radio out and make sure that fm modulator is grounded correctly. If I
>remember right, I used the same wire as the radio uses to ground the fm
>modulator. I also tapped into the radio power line to power the sat decoder.
>(black)

That should be the ground strap, which should be sufficient... But
since you just hear the noise through the FM modulator, I would say
that the FM modulator is either not grounded well enough, or it's just
inferior quality... so it doesn't matter how much you try to filter
the input power, it's still going to pick up the ambient electrical
noise from the truck.

You might also want to pull the whole thing out of the dash and try to
keep the FM modulator out of the dash and as far away as possible and
then try to turn it on. The noise will probably go away (at least
partially) if it's just picking up interference.

>I got the inifinity sound system when I bought my truck, where the heck is
>the amp?! I thought the radio was the the whole shabang in one unit.

Nope. The infinity amp is behind the passenger's side kick panel. If
I remember correctly, you have to pull up the passenger's side door
sill/trim (the long, narrow gray piece that covers most of the length
of the door opening and holds the carpet down).. To pull that up,
pull up gently. It's attached by three clips. Once you get that
piece off, you can pull off the plastic piece (again, gently, slowly)
in front of it that covers the right side area under the glove box
(aka the kick panel). The amp is right in there -- you can't miss it.
Black box, two wiring harnesses running int oit.

>Oh, my truck isn't PB, it's LB (lightning Blue) 8^P Looks much better with
>all my chrome! 8^)

Well :-P then. Still looks nice, though.

-Bill