Re: Attn: Barry O re: shock research

From: Rich D (richdt@myway.com)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 20:56:52 EDT

> What I'm curious about is how Monroe's newer shock design ("Reflex")
> performs compared to the Sensatrack.

Hi guys, I've been reading messages here for a while and thought I'd
finally join in. This post may be a little late considering the amount
of messages that get posted here, but I thought I could offer some info
  from my recent shock purchase.
I recently purchased and installed a complete set of RSX's on my 2000 CC
4x4 and had emailed Rancho/Monroe tech support about the ride I could
expect from the RSX/Reflex/Sensa-Trac's.
Here was the response from tech support ....

Thank you for your interest in Rancho products. The RSX will definitely
be more firm then your original equipment. If you haul or tow then they
will be a good shock. On the other hand if most of the time your truck
is unloaded and you are seeking smooth ride then I would go with the
Monroe SensaTracs.

The SensaTracs will be softer and closer to the original equipment ride
then the Reflex. Actually the Reflex will be just like the RSX .

The part numbers for both units are as follows:

RSX
  front-RSX17010
  rear-RSX17004

SensaTrac
  front-37220
  rear-37140

Rancho and Monroe team member
Vladi

I know what they say about opinions, but here goes .....
I have to say that having bought the RSX's, I wish I had ordered the
Sensa-Tracs. My truck spends it's life on the pavement 99% of the time,
and the RSX's have, what I call, a busy ride. They're not harsh, but the
suspension now let's me feel every imperfection in the road. And on a
not so smooth highway at 60mph it definitely begins to annoy me.
I will say that the truck handles great with very little lean or dive,
not that it was very bad with the OE shocks.
- Rich