Stock electric fan?

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 13:15:28 EDT

Does anyone know the temp. at which the stock electric fan ('00 4.7L
w/HD cooling, etc.) kicks in?

I was driving in some heavy stop and go traffic yesterday and the
truck was starting to get pretty warm as I was just rolling along in
the near-parking lot traffic. It seemed that as soon as the oil temp
gauge got right around 210, the electric fan kicked on (I could hear
it) and within a minute or so the temp was back down to normal range.
Not too long after that, traffic started moving again, and everything
was fine (lots of air blowing through there).

What is it that controls the electric fan? Just a thermostat or is it
the PCM? Is it possible to tweak the PCM to have the fan kick in a
bit earlier, or wire in some sort of manual override? It'd be nice to
just turn it on when I'm sitting in slow traffic in hot weather.

-Bill